- Professor of the Year for Pennsylvania 2005, awarded by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
- Selected and profiled by Council of Graduate Schools as professor who educates students to be responsible citizens. In Council of Graduate Schools report on Graduate Education and the Public Good (press release: http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/N_pr_GradEdPublicGood.pdf)
- The Poynter Institute National Teaching Award for Excellence in the Teaching of Writing.
- The Poynter Institute Seminar Award: Convergence for College Educators.
- National Endowment for the Humanities summer seminar for college teachers.
- Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching.
- Sears-Roebuck Foundation Teaching Excellence and Campus Leadership Award
Social Justice Curriculum Development:
- Brazil Solidarity Tour 2006.
- Mexico-U.S. Border Tour 2007.
- El Salvador Solidarity Tour 2008.
- Proposed and developed Catholic Relief Services Global Solidarity Network, an online site that connects students and faculty across the country with poverty and development issues and Catholic Relief Services staff around the world.
- My current focus: http://www.socialjusticejournalism.org/ . How student journalists can work for a better world.
- As a result of our February 2009 social justice journalism tour to Guatemala, our wonderful seniors on the trip (Kara Schneider, Christine Graf, Jillian Smith, Megan Pellegrino, and Jessica Hagerty) and their instructors, Cathy Yungmann and I, produced this site.
Courses I teach:
- ECG 300 Working for Global Justice Social Justice course on advocacy.
- ECG 100 Our Interdependent World. Engagements with the Common Good pilot freshman social justice course.
- ECG 200 Faces of Justice. Social Justice for sophomores, involving students in partnerships.
- Professional Development Program
- Courses previously taught:
Student work produced in the courses above:
- Cabrini College student newspaper, the Loquitur. Winner of the 2006 Associated Collegiate press Pacemaker award, as one of the top 18 college papers in the nation.
- Cabrini College radio station, WYBF - the Burn
- Iraqi Refugees: the Hidden Crisis -
- Our Hands Are Not Tied -
- Microfinance: Securing Futures in Developing Countries -